Monday, October 12, 2009

From Memory

Finally back to life drawing after years. I've been painting from life, but drawing by itself is a completely different experience. Feels great to be shaking off the rust, and I'll be posting the best of the lot in the future. In the meantime, here's another exercise I've been engaging in. After having gone through the little gym visit of a life drawing class, I try to draw something I've seen and studied over the course of the evening from memory. It's an interesting exercise and I heartily recommend trying it. Also doing it in Photoshop is the ideal way of doing it, because you can hash out the details in what is a continuous redrawing process in pursuit of something not immediately clear to you-it has to be found. When you finish the drawing, and what you have really looks like what you had in your head, it's an eerie, satisfying experience.

Here are the first couple I've done:







4 comments: